CITIZEN VOICES® br> Citizens split on including incidents off of school grounds in bully law – 136 participants
Jul 02, 2017
In 2010, New Hampshire’s bully law was revised to include incidents that occur off of school property, like cyberbullying, provided the bullying interferes with the child’s learning. Read more about this issue here. On July 2, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should NH's anti-bullying law continue to include incidents that take place off of school grounds, like cyberbullying?”
Should bullying laws include incidents that take place off of school grounds, like cyberbullying?
Participation: 136 participants gave 248 responses.
A total of 80% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 20% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 136 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 248 responses or reactions to this question. Click here for details on our methodology.
What Participants Said
No: A slight majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 51%, were opposed to including incidents that take place off of school grounds in the anti-bullying law.
- “Schools have enough to do to stop bullying at school. I don't see how they can be responsible for cyber bullying or anything that takes place off school property.”
- “No. We don't need bullying laws. This is the parent’s job and the school’s, not the government.”
- “No. You can't stop human behavior, especially something like bullying.”
Yes: A minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 49%, were in favor of including incidents that take place off of school grounds in the anti-bullying law.
- “Yes. The world is more complex, and bullying laws must keep up.”
- “Cyberbullying of minors is perhaps the most insidious form of evil, and should most definitely be recognized, and dealt with, severely.”
- “Bullying is bullying no matter where it takes place.”
Other: As noted above, 20% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:
- The role of government: “Not all of us trust government to do the right thing.”
- Parental responsibility: “I think we need a law that punishes the parents for being lazy and useless. Bad parenting makes bad children.”
- Self-defense: “It's hard to continue bullying a kid who just got done pounding you into the ground.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.