CITIZEN VOICES® br> Citizens split on rebates for wood pellet boilers – 177 citizens
Nov 22, 2015
With winter settling in, residents are looking at new ways to heat their homes. Currently, renewable energy rebates in New Hampshire include funds for the commercial or residential installation of wood pellet boilers or furnaces. Read more about this issue. On November 22, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should wood pellet boilers or furnaces be eligible for state rebates as a form of renewable energy?”
Should wood pellet boilers be considered renewable energy?
Participation: 177 participants gave 354 responses.
A total of 78% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 22% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 177 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 354 responses or reactions to this question. Click here for details on our methodology.
What Participants Said
No: A majority, at 55% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were opposed to making wood pellet boilers or furnaces be eligible for state rebates as a form of renewable energy.
- “Should anything be eligible for state rebates as a form of renewable energy? If you give a rebate, you need to pick somebody's pocket to come up with the bucks.”
- “Let the market rule and the government stay out.”
- "I don’t want to subsidize anything."
Yes: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 45%, were in favor of making wood pellet boilers or furnaces be eligible for state rebates as a form of renewable energy.
- “Wood pellet stoves consume about 1/5 the wood stoves do while producing more heat, and less ash to deal with… I'd say make it renewable.”
- “Offering a rebate encourages residents to invest in technology that puts neighbors and their lands back to work.”
Other: As noted above, 22% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:
- Wood stoves: "If wood pellets can be ‘renewable’ then why can’t a wood stove? They are essentially the same thing."
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.