CITIZEN VOICES® br> Citizens support Seabrook license renewal - 188 citizens, 369 responses
Aug 22, 2015
Seabrook Station operators NextEra Energy are currently seeking a renewal of the plant’s license that would extend operations from 2030 to 2050. In light of this development, the Live Free or Die Alliance (LFDA) asked Facebook members, “Do you support or oppose renewing the license of the Seabrook Station nuclear power plant?”
Do you support or oppose renewing the license of the Seabrook Station nuclear power plant?
Participation: 188 participants gave 369 responses.
A total of 84% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 16% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 188 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 369 responses or reactions to this question. Click here for details on our methodology.
What Participants Said
Yes: A strong majority, at 72% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of renewing the license of Seabrook Station.
- “It’s the safest energy out there and the cheapest.”
- “It is a safe facility and gives local jobs as well helps the businesses.”
- “If we want energy independence, and want to get away from coal fired plants, we need Seabrook.”
No: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 28%, were opposed to renewing the license of Seabrook Station.
- “I've never been in favor of nuclear energy because there is no safe way to dispose of the waste it creates.”
- “There are other ways and much safer ways to get the energy the people need.”
- “I can’t believe it ever started up.”
Other: As noted above, 16% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues.
- Questioning why the license needed to be renewed so far in advance.
- Discussing how possible alternatives compared to nuclear energy.
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.