CITIZEN VOICES® br> Concealed carry anywhere in US with NH permit?
May 16, 2018
Legislation in Congress proposes to amend federal law to allow an individual who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun in one state to carry that handgun in other states. Currently, individual states decide which permits they’ll recognize. For example, a Granite Stater needs a permit from Massachusetts to carry a concealed gun in the Bay State. However, 28 states already accept permits issued in New Hampshire.
“If you get a permit from NH police, should you be able to carry your concealed gun in any state in the nation?”
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page May 16, 2018
What Participants Said
Yes: 144 citizens were in favor of allowing gun owners who hold New Hampshire concealed carry permits to carry a concealed gun in any other state.
- “Driver's licenses work that way, so should carry permits.”
- “If I am an American Citizen and I am not a felon. I should be able to carry a handgun anywhere in America.”
- “If you have permit it should be honored by all the states. If California does not want to issue permits then don't, but don't disarm because I'm traveling thru your state.”
No: 13 citizens were opposed to allowing gun owners who hold New Hampshire concealed carry permits to carry a concealed gun in any other state.
- “No! Every state should be allowed to regulate concealed carry as they deem prudent.”
- “No.......there still is a thing called 'states' rights'. We have to obey each state's traffic, legal, etc laws. If a state says 'no' to concealed weapons, their laws should be adhered to.”
- “No. Each state should be able to set it's own standard. What works in Wyoming won't work in NY. Why does everyone need to carry a gun anyway? NH isn't Dodge City.”
Other: 15 citizens addressed their comments to related questions and issues.
These included discussions of federal powers versus state rights:
- “Tricky ground. I am a concealed carry member but also strongly believe in states rights. If like minded states would join each other and recognize an all encompassing permit that would be great but to make it in all states would involve the federal government and they always screw things up.”
- “Different states with different laws will be more well-suited to different individuals... Vote with your feet.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.