Do you agree with Gov. Hassan's plan to keep concealed carry licenses in New Hampshire?
May 02, 2015
The Granite State took a step closer to the gun rights ideal of “Constitutional Carry” last week when the House passed SB 116, a bill that would allow residents to carry concealed firearms without a permit. However, Gov. Maggie Hassan stated that she planned to veto the bill. In light of the controversy, the Live Free or Die Alliance (LFDA) put the issue to its Facebook members, asking, "Do you agree with Gov. Hassan's plan to keep concealed carry licenses in New Hampshire?"
"Do you agree with Gov. Hassan's plan to keep concealed carry licenses in New Hampshire?"
Participation: 442 participants gave 2,015 responses.
A total of 70% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 30% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 2,015 responses from 442 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)
What Participants Said
No: A strong majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 78%, opposed Gov. Hassan's plan to keep concealed carry licenses in New Hampshire.
- “Why should I have to ‘ask’ for permission to carry a tool to defend myself or others from harm?”
- “Licensing solves nothing and only interferes with every individual’s right to arms.”
- “If [Hassan] vetoes the bill she is violating both the NH and US constitution.”
Yes: A minority, at 22% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of Gov. Hassan's plan to keep concealed carry licenses in New Hampshire.
- “Concealed carry permits in this state are very easy to get for law-abiding citizens.”
- “I'm pretty sure the majority of NH citizens have weighed in on this and want not only licenses maintained; but also background checks on people buying weapons. It's the NH House that isn't listening to the people.”
Other: As noted above, 30% of those participating did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:
- Related questions: "Without having to obtain (pay for) a permit, will something like property or meal taxes rise?”
- Alternatives: "Since she has the veto power and since we don't have the numbers to override, this may be an excellent opportunity to compromise and define ‘suitable person’ and leave the permit but make it a true ‘shall issue’ unless prohibited by law”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.