Legislators purchasing marijuana?

Oct 03, 2016

On Friday, September 30 the New Hampshire Attorney General released a report detailing marijuana sales between state legislators in 2015. The report is part of the investigation of former Rep. Kyle Tasker, who was indicted in July 2016 for dealing drugs as well as luring a minor through the internet for sex. Four legislators interviewed by the Attorney General admitted to marijuana offenses. Read more about this issue here. 

"Would a legislator's purchase of marijuana make you less likely to vote for him or her?"

Marijuana Legislators New Hampshire Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 204 participants gave 515 responses.

A total of 82% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 18% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, this question received 515 responses from 204 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said

No: A strong majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 86%, say a legislator's purchase of marijuana would not make them less likely to vote for him or her.

  • “Vices are not crimes. If you have a problem with them buying a little weed, you should also have a problem with them buying beer.”
  • “No. I would be more likely to vote for them.”
  • “Unless they were simultaneously promoting marijuana prohibition, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It should have been legalized already.”

Yes: A minority, at 14% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, say a legislator's purchase of marijuana would make them less likely to vote for him or her.

  • “I would not trust anyone in a position of authority who uses pot.”
  • “It's not only illegal but irresponsible and childish to sell pot and to smoke it at work… Representatives should be expected to stay sober, refrain from dealing and do the people's business.”
  • “Whether you are for marijuana or not, this is a case of them thinking they are above the law. It is currently illegal.”

Other: As noted above, 18% of those participating did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Decriminalization of marijuana: “Decriminalize it. We need more room in our prisons for real criminals.”
  • Regarding selective enforcement: “Rules for us, but not for them?”
  • Legislators’ voting records: “If they buy and use but constantly vote against legalization, then I would be inclined to vote against them. If they are users and vote for legalization, then I would more than likely support them.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Click here to read the full Facebook discussion of this question. 

Join Citizens Count

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.