CITIZEN VOICES® Majority oppose mandatory auto insurance - 140 participants

Jan 12, 2014

In response to the debate over cell phone use in cars, Concord resident Fred Smith recently wrote the Concord Monitor to argue that auto insurance should also be legislated and mandatory. On January 12, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should NH require all drivers to purchase auto insurance?”

Should NH require all drivers to purchase auto insurance?

Auto Insurance NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 140 participants gave 403 responses.

A total of 85% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 15% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 140 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 403 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said

No: A strong majority, at 58% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were opposed to requiring all drivers to purchase auto insurance. 

  • “What part of Live Free or Die do they miss? Stop trying to fix what isn't broken.”
  • “People should be responsible for damages if they cause an accident but that doesn't mean you should force me to buy insurance because I may one day have an accident..”

Yes: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 42%, were in favor of requiring all drivers to purchase auto insurance.   

  • “It protects both the person who causes the accident and the person who is affected through no fault of their own. Accidents happen every single day.”

Other: As noted above, 15% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:  

  • Uncertainty: "Having had my car totaled by an uninsured driver who also gave false info on their license, I can say that I wasn't happy being left responsible for someone else's poor decisions. I also don't know if I like the state mandating any more than they do."

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Join Citizens Count

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.