CITIZEN VOICES® Majority oppose state employee pay raises - 113 citizens

Jun 17, 2015

This year’s budget negotiations have turned out to be particularly controversial, with Gov. Maggie Hassan following through on a threatened veto of the legislature’s proposed 2016-2017 spending plan. One of the areas of disagreement cited by Hassan was the decision by House and Senate budget writers to exclude funding for a 2% pay raise negotiated with state employee unions. On June 17, the Live Free or Die Alliance asked Facebook members to weigh in on the debate, posing the question “Should state budget writers include a pay increase for state employees?”

Should state budget writers include a pay increase for state employees?

State Employee Pay Raises NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 113 participants gave 288 responses.

A total of 81% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 19% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 113 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 288 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said

No: A majority, at 68% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were opposed to state employee pay raises.

  • “No raises, the taxpayers can't afford it.”
  • “Show me some metrics that justify the increase.  Otherwise this sound like a handout to me.”
  • “I do not like the fact my taxes will go up to pay for their higher wages.”

Yes: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 32%, were in favor of state employee pay raises.

  • “If NH does not fund these negotiated raises, it would be a contract violation. Do we want to send the message that NH does not honor its contracts?”
  • “It was negotiated. It should be honored.”
  • “Cut other waste in the budget to honor the raise.”

Other: As noted above, 5% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues.

  • Raises in general: “Percentage raises are so unfair, the top always get a bigger raise then the ones on the bottom.”
  • Types of raises: “Sounds like it’s not a raise but a COLA [cost of living] adjustment”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Join Citizens Count

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.