Overwhelming majority favor allowing home growing medical marijuana - 844 participants

Jan 09, 2016

A bill (HB 593) would allow qualifying New Hampshire medical marijuana patients, or their registered caregivers, to grow and transport cannabis plants. Read more about this issue. On January 9, the LFDA decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should qualifying NH medical marijuana patients and/or their caregivers be permitted to grow marijuana for personal use?”

Should patients be allowed to grow medical marijuana?

Home Growing Medical Marijuana NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 844 participants gave 1,659 responses.

In an exceptionally focused discussion, a total of 96% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 4% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 1659 responses from 844 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said

Yes: An overwhelming majority, at 99% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of allowing medical marijuana patients or their designated caregivers to grow their own cannabis.

  • “Let patients grow for themselves and allow care givers to grow for patients to help keep cost down for those who need their medicine.”
  • “Yes, since most of the population of NH want full legalization.”
  • “Most of the people needing the medicinal marijuana are already facing excessive medical bills. Let them grow their own crops for private use.”

No: A slim minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at only 1%, opposed allowing personal growing of medical marijuana.

  • “If you're on morphine you can take it with a script but you can't 'make' it. Same with codeine and oxycontin.”
  • “We already have enough problems with alcoholism and other intoxicants without encouraging more drug use.”
  • “Are we budgeted to control this? …Take one step at a time.”

Other: As noted above, 4% of those participating did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Discussing the risks and benefits of medical marijuana: “Weed may lower your IQ and shrink the white matter in your brain.”
  • Raising wider concerns about the healthcare system: “How about giving patients in need of medical cannabis easier access to quality organic medicine?”
  • Debating coverage for medical marijuana: “Medical marijuana should be covered by Medicare. Oxycontin is being pushed on elderly patients who become addicted.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Related Bill

HB 593 (2015)
Bill Status: Interim Study
Hearing date: Apr 21, 2015

Join Citizens Count

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.