Overwhelming majority oppose per-mile road use fee - 286 participants

Jul 16, 2016

Some have begun to question the fairness of the gas tax as revenues stagnate and more fuel-efficient or alternative fuel vehicles take to the roads. One such alternative is a road use fee, a program being tested right now in California. Road use fees would replace the gas tax with a per-mile charge levied on drivers. Read more about this issue. On July 16, the LFDA decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Would you support replacing the gas tax with a per-mile road use fee?”

Would you support replacing the gas tax with a per-mile road use fee?

Road Use Fee NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 286 participants gave 620 responses.

A total of 78% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 22% of participants, a greater than usual percentage, engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 620 responses from 286 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said

No: The overwhelming majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 98%, opposed replacing the gas tax with a per-mile road use fee.

  • “Taxes never go away. They just keep growing and growing. Adding a per use tax would just become an additional tax. Double taxation!”
  • “This would represent yet another invasion of privacy to gain access to the mileage data on my vehicle. And just how would out of state driving be deducted accurately?”
  • “NH needs a greener future. If anything, we should increase the gas tax.”

Yes: A minority, at 2% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of replacing the gas tax with a per-mile road use fee.

  • "Yes. Base it on mileage and gross vehicle weight. Both of these are objective measurements. Mileage would be verified as part of the current registration and inspection process.”
  • “Yes… please fight to get that revenue. It would raise a ton of money without affecting families.”

Other: As noted above, 22% of those participating did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Eliminating the gas tax: “No gas tax. No road tax.”
  • How transportation funding is spent: “What difference would it make? As always they would be looking for ways to once again fund the I-93 project for the umpteenth time.”
  • Distributing the costs of road maintenance: “If you buy stuff that is shipped by road (which you almost certainly do), then you'd already be paying the costs of the road use by the trucking companies. Better to charge each road user for his/her own use of the roads.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

Join Citizens Count

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.