CITIZEN VOICES® br> Overwhelming majority oppose raiding dedicated funds - 53 participants
Jan 08, 2015
Several times during the course of New Hampshire’s history, lawmakers have used money from “dedicated funds” to shore up budget deficits. On January 8, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should lawmakers sometimes use money that is raised for a specific purpose to balance the rest of the state budget?”
Should lawmakers be allowed to use dedicated funds to balance the rest of the state budget?
Participation: 53 participants gave 153 responses.
A total of 72% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 28% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 53 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 153 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)
What Participants Said
No: An overwhelming majority, at 99% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were opposed to using money that is raised for a specific purpose to balance the rest of the state budget.
- “It amounts to theft by deception.”
- “That would be stealing tax money.”
Yes: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 1%, were in favor of using money that is raised for a specific purpose to balance the rest of the state budget.
- “We do this all the time with our own personal budgets. If the price of gas goes up, or we’re hit with an unexpected bill, we adjust our allocations.”
Other: As noted above, 28% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:
- Why any extra money should exist in the first place.
- Alternatives: "If a program has funds raised via taxes and the taxes don't cover the costs, then cut the program."
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.