Should drones be prohibited from flying or taking pictures over private property without permission?

Mar 18, 2017

Drones are a relatively new technology, and therefore raise a multitude of issues for legislators. HB 97, sponsored by Republican Rep. Neal Kurk and Rep. Renny Cushing, a Democrat, attempts to address some of those issues by instituting a series of rules governing the use of drones by both government agencies—such as law enforcement groups—and non-government entities such as commercial enterprises, nonprofits, or private citizens. Read more about this issue. 

"Should drones be prohibited from flying or taking pictures over private property without permission?"

Drone Regulations New Hampshire Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 458 participants gave 690 responses.

A total of 94% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 6% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 458 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 690 responses or reactions to this question. Click here for details on our methodology.

What Participants Said

Yes: A strong majority, at 84% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of prohibiting drones from flying over private property. 

  • “No one should be able to infringe on anyone else's right to privacy. I personally think we should be allowed to shoot them down if found hovering over private property.”
  • “Yes. It would be an invasion of privacy, like a neighbor watching you sunbathe through, or over, the fence.”
  • “When you own real estate, you own the air above it as well. If I could hang a no trespassing sign on the air, I would. Since I cannot, the one at the entrance to my driveway should suffice.”

No: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 16%, were opposed to prohibiting drones from flying over private property.  

  • “Laws are already in place prohibiting flight too low to the ground when flying over private property. No need for any extra regulation.”
  • “No… if you are going to limit that then cameras and smart phones should get the same limits because they can do the same thing. Cameras are far superior than any consumer drone with quality, zoom, and ability to hide them from view.”
  • “The sky is not anyone’s property.”

Other: As noted above, 6% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:  

  • Clarifying current law: “The general rule is the ground below and the sky above are your property. However there are usually state imposed restrictions, easements, etc.”
  • Alternative suggestions: “Drones should be able to ‘pass through’ private airspace, but not hover.”
  • Parallels: “Google Earth takes pictures all day long.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 


Jason Hall
- thomasville

Sat, 04/08/2017 - 10:00am

I fly gas engine rc airplanes for fun. Im not spying on anyone. Leave rc avaition alone.

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

HB 97 (2017)
Bill Status: Killed in the Senate
Hearing date: Apr 12, 2017

Join Citizens Count

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.