CITIZEN VOICES® br> Should local law enforcement officers being deputized to act as federal immigration officers?
Jun 01, 2017
Soon after taking office, President Trump issued an executive order expanding a program that trains state and local law enforcement to carry out federal immigration enforcement duties. The program, called 287(g), includes four weeks of training for officers who are then deputized to investigate the immigration status of anyone they arrest. The officers can also begin the deportation process. Trump’s executive order reinstates an older version of the program that also lets officers investigate the immigration status of anyone they come in contact with, not just people they arrest. Read more about this issue.
"Should local law enforcement officers being deputized to act as federal immigration officers?"
Participation: 264 participants gave 498 responses.
A total of 96% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 4% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 264 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 498 responses or reactions to this question. Click here for details on our methodology.
What Participants Said
No: A majority, at 64% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were opposed to deputizing local law enforcement to act as federal immigration officers.
- “That's a slippery slope that may one day invite federal takeover of our police for other reasons. Our police should remain 100% under local control.”
- “Everyone in our communities must know that they can approach the police - with concerns, tips and questions - without fear of deportation or harassment.”
- “I am all for getting the illegal aliens out of the US, however ICE just needs to hire their own people.”
Yes: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 36%, were in favor of deputizing local law enforcement to act as federal immigration officers.
- “It doesn't take much to see how bad the immigration system is in this country and something needs to be done. They aren't going to be doing anything other than making an arrest once it’s been determined that a person is here illegally. Saying they shouldn't do that would be like saying the feds shouldn't stop a robbery if they come across one in progress because it's not a federal offense.”
- “Yes. Turning over revealed illegal immigrants to ICE is basic law enforcement.”
- “Breaking the law is breaking the law. Arrest them all. You swore an oath to protect this state.”
Other: As noted above, 4% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:
- Relevance: “Since when does NH have an illegal immigration problem?”
- Uncertainty: “It's all circumstantial... If we talking about Alien X who doesn't break the law and just wants to take care of his family than not really. If we talking about Alien Y who had a record, who's been arrested for assault, drugs, aggravated DUI, violence, shoplifting, etc. than definitely yes.”
- Immigration in general: “Get the illegals out and we would be all set.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.