CITIZEN VOICES® Slight majority against ‪call for NH to secede from the U.S. - 864 participants, 2282 responses

Jun 29, 2016

Following on the heels of the "Brexit" vote that saw United Kingdom residents call for their nation to leave the European Union, activists in New Hampshire have initiated a NHexit campaign pushing for the state to secede from the U.S. Read more about this issue. On June 29, the LFDA decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Do you support the ‪#‎NHexit campaign's call for the Granite State to secede from the United States?”

Would you support NH's secession from the US?

NHExit NH Secede Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 864 participants gave 2,282 responses.

A total of 60% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 40% of participants, a larger than usual percentage, engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 2,282 responses from 864 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said

No: A slight majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 58%, opposed ‎NHexit campaign's call for the Granite State to secede from the United States.

  • “If that were to happen, our economy would crash, taxes would skyrocket, and jobs would be lost. We would not be able to afford to live here.”
  • “Too many people see the down side of the federal government but ignore, dismiss, or aren't aware of the benefits. Yes, it can be a burden but overall we, the people, are stronger as a union.”
  • “NH does not have sufficient energy, economic, or financial resources to be able to succeed from the Union. If we did succeed, our infrastructure and government would collapse before the ink was even dry on the paper.”

Yes: A slight minority, at 42% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, supported ‎NHexit campaign's call for the Granite State to secede from the United States.

  • " I definitely think it's an idea worth exploring. Washington is getting too big, and the people of New Hampshire are losing control of their own state.”
  • “Yes, everyday [the government] encroaches on the constitutional rights that were originally set up by our forefathers.”
  • “Live free or die is not just a motto, it's an ideal that ‘New Hampshirites’ have been striving for their entire history. We're better off on our own with free trade with other nations.”

Other: As noted above, 40% of those participating did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Questioning if people are serious about secession: “Why was there no expressed support for the NH Community Rights Constitutional Amendment when it was proposed during this past session? Many people like to talk, but have no intention of actually creating any real change.”
  • Debating the long-term consequences that could result from secession: “We would have no federal funding for things like schools, hospitals, police force, roads/bridges/highways, etc.”
  • Discussing possible solutions to perceived infringements on states’ rights: “What we need to do is join the convention of the state’s project. This will bring the power back to the states and put a stop to federal spending and judicial overreach.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Join Citizens Count

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.