CITIZEN VOICES® br> Strong majority oppose allowing natural gas pipeline developers to use eminent domain - 171 participants
Jan 06, 2015
With Kinder Morgan, the largest energy infrastructure company in North America, planning a gas pipeline route through southern New Hampshire, some landowners are concerned about the company taking their land. In response, Rep. Jim Belanger (R-Hollis) is sponsoring two bills to counter eminent domain. On January 6, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should natural gas pipeline developers be able to take private property using eminent domain?”
Should natural gas pipeline developers be able to take private property using eminent domain?
Participation: 171 participants gave 287 responses.
A total of 76% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 24% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 171 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 287 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)
What Participants Said
No: An overwhelming majority, at 87% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were opposed to natural gas pipeline developers be able to take private property using eminent domain.
- “Nobody and no corporation should have the right to take anyone's property for any reason.”
- “Eminent domain, like sovereign immunity, is a left-over from the divine right of kings where the king owned everything and everyone and people were merely tenants.”
Yes: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 13%, were in favor of natural gas pipeline developers be able to take private property using eminent domain.
- “People complain about high electric rates but don't understand that power plants are powered mostly by natural gas—not to mention natural gas is much cleaner cheaper and from our own country.”
- "People need to lose the not my back yard syndrome and welcome the way of our future."
Other: As noted above, 24% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:
- Who determines what constitutes “a fair price”: "Who is the one considering it a fair price? The land owner or Kinder?"
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.