CITIZEN VOICES® br> Strong majority oppose giving more meals and rooms tax revenue to tourist towns – 84 participants
Jul 13, 2017
Over the years the New Hampshire Legislature has rejected several attempts to allocate more meals and rooms tax revenue back to the towns that generated it. Read more about this issue. On July 13, the LFDA decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should NH tourist towns get more money from the state based on how much meals and rooms tax they generate?”
Should NH give more meals and rooms tax revenue back to tourist towns?
Participation: 84 participants gave 161 responses.
A total of 77% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 23% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 84 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 161 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)
What Participants Said
No: A strong majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 89%, were opposed to giving more meals and rooms tax revenue back to tourist towns.
- “No. Portsmouth and Wolfeboro (among others) don't exactly need the money.”
- “No. It is a state not local tax. Needs to go into the general fund.”
- “No. The tourist destinations rely on roads and other public services elsewhere in the state to bring tourists to them.”
Yes: A minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 19%, were in favor of to giving more meals and rooms tax revenue back to tourist towns.
- “I think this would a good way to help towns invest in their infrastructure which in turn would make more money for them and the rest of the state of NH.”
- “Yes. The cities and towns that have the hotels and restaurants that produce this revenue have added costs to support them.”
Other: As noted above, 23% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:
- Tourism: “How about slowing down on promoting tourism? Small towns in the White Mountains are over run by tourists.”
- Eliminating the tax: “Here's a better idea: repeal the meals and rooms tax and the problem goes away.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.