CITIZEN VOICES® br> Strong majority oppose property taxes for RVs - 133 participants
Jan 19, 2014
Travel throughout New Hampshire and there probably is no issue that can rouse such an impassioned conversation with any state resident as the issue of property taxes. Currently, some NH towns do not tax recreational vehicles parked at seasonal campgrounds, others send a property tax bill to the vehicle owner, while still others tax the campground owner directly. On January 19, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should NH towns be allowed to assess property taxes on recreational vehicles parked at seasonal campgrounds?”
Should NH towns be allowed to assess property taxes on recreational vehicles parked at seasonal campgrounds?
Participation: 133 participants gave 286 responses.
A total of 87% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 13% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 133 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 286 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)
What Participants Said
No: A strong majority, at 93% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were opposed to allowing towns to assess property taxes on recreational vehicles parked at seasonal campgrounds.
- “[Government] cannot have it both ways... Trailers/recreational vehicles are not considered as buildings—they are vehicles with registration paid to DMV as vehicles.”
- “They have no foundation, permanently grounded walls or associated plumbing. They should not be taxed as a building, then taxed again as a vehicle.”
- "The rent and fees are already taking property taxes levied on the property owner into account. We tax property owners, not renters."
Yes: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 7%, were in favor of allowing towns to assess property taxes on recreational vehicles parked at seasonal campgrounds.
- “If the vehicles are lived in year round—where do they get their water and sewerage (sic) from. If the town or state is providing them services, then they need to pay.”
Other: As noted above, 13% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues.
Editor selection of actual participant quotes.