Strong majority support allowing patients to grow their own marijuana - 509 participants

Jan 14, 2017

Currently, medicinal marijuana patients in New Hampshire must acquire the drug through one of four licensed dispensaries. However, that could change if HB 472 becomes law. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Renny Cushing, would allow qualifying medicinal marijuana patients or their designated caregivers to grow the drug for therapeutic use. Read more about this issue here. On January 14, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should qualifying patients be permitted to grow their own marijuana?”

Should qualifying patients be permitted to grow their own marijuana?

Grow Your Own Medical Marijuana New Hampshire Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 1,005 participants gave 509 responses.

A total of 95% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 5% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 509 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 1,005 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said

Yes: A majority, at 96% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of allowing qualifying patients to grow their own medicinal marijuana.

  • “Qualifying patients in NH should have the right to grow medicinal marijuana.”
  • “Yes, [for] ‘qualifying patients’ along with every other free human being. It's not the job of the state to micromanage everyone's personal behavior.”
  • “If not permitted to grow, many seniors on fixed incomes will be denied access. They won't be able to afford it.”

No:  The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 4%, were opposed to allowing qualifying patients to grow their own medicinal marijuana.

  • “No, but if they need it, they should able to get it from the drug store just like any other medication.”
  • “No. Unfortunately, a few ruin it for the many and it will get out of hand.”
  • “If they're taking it under a doctor's care for legitimate reasons that's fine, but this is just another attempt at recreational which I don't agree with until infrastructure is in place to deal with abuse of it.”

Other: As noted above, 5% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues.

  • Medicinal marijuana in general: “Why have scientists not found what is so soothing about weed, and made it in a pill?”
  • Marijuana policy in general: “Just legalize it already!”
  • Other controlled substances: “Should alcoholics be allowed to buy liquor?”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Related Bill

HB 472 (2017)
Bill Status: Interim Study
Hearing date: Apr 11, 2017

Join Citizens Count

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.