CITIZEN VOICES® Strong majority support requiring 10-day voter residency requirement - 157 participants

May 28, 2016

On June 1, the state House and Senate voted on, but could not pass, SB 4, a bill that would have required voters to live in the state at least ten days before voting. SB 4 had previously passed the House and Senate once, but the two chambers were unable to agree on the length of time voters should live in the state. Read more about this issue. Leading up to the vote, the LFDA decided to put the issue to its Facebook members on May 28, posting the question, “Should a voter have to live in the state at least ten days before voting?”

Should a voter have to live in the state at least ten days before voting?

Voter Residency Requirement NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 157 participants gave 331 responses.

A total of 71% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 29% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 331 responses from 157 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said

Yes: The majority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 74%, supported requiring voters live in the state at least ten days before voting.  

  • “It should be longer. Do you think someone living in a new area for less than a year really knows about local topics and can add an informed opinion when they vote?”
  • “Why should anyone who isn't really a resident allowed to vote?”
  • “This is a huge part of the voter fraud in NH.”

No: A minority, at 26% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, opposed requiring voters live in the state at least ten days before voting.

  • “As long as you can provide an I.D showing you are a US citizen, you should be able to vote across state borders.”
  • “Once someone has changed their address on their driver’s license, registration, and with the postal service, they have ample proof of residency…We don't need any more restrictions on voter registration.”
  • “We live in a very mobile society. Every citizen should be allowed to vote, once, in a place that can reasonably be called home. Any other standard denies the most important and basic right of citizenship in a democratic society.”

Other: As noted above, 29% of those participating did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Broadening the discussion: “A voter should have to be a legal citizen of the U.S. To vote. Positive ID must be required. ID's are required to buy a pack of cigarettes or a bottle of beer—why not to vote?”
  • Questioning how the legislation would be enforced: “How would they enforce it? They can't ask for ID. How are they going to require proof of residency?”
  • Expressing concern at the logic behind the bill itself: “Being here for 10 days means nothing. Some people vacation here longer than that. Should they all be able to vote?”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Related Bill

SB 4 (2015)
Bill Status: Killed in the Senate

Join Citizens Count

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2018 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.