CITIZEN VOICES® br> Banning conversion therapy?
Jan 23, 2017
There are currently two bills being considered by the New Hampshire Legislature that would ban conversion therapy for anyone under age eighteen: SB 224 in the Senate, and HB 587 in the House. Conversion therapy attempts to change a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity. Read more about this issue here.
Should NH ban gay conversion therapy for minors?
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page January 23, 2017
What Participants Said
Yes: 311 people were in favor of banning conversion therapy in NH.
- “Conversion therapy has been proven time and again to not only be ineffective, but to cause severe emotional and psychological harm to those subjected to it.”
- “Conversion therapy should be banned for everybody but especially minors.”
- “I think this is a pretty clear case where we have an obligation to step in and protect the autonomy and equal rights of LGBT youth.”
No: 55 people were opposed to banning conversion therapy in NH.
- “I like to make my own decisions and allow other families to make theirs,even if I feel gay conversion therapy is nonsense.”
- “Teens should have access to therapy if they feel the need for it.”
- “I think the state should butt out. It’s the parents’ decision.”
Other: 31 people commented on related questions and issues instead.
- Clarification: “What is gay conversion therapy?”
- Extending the concept: “Would you defend conversion therapy for gay parents to convert their straight children?”
- Relevance: “Less than 2% of the population is 'gay', so why all the hype?”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.