CITIZEN VOICES® br> Immigration checkpoints inside NH?
Nov 01, 2018
Since the beginning of the year, the federal Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) has conducted three roadblocks on I-93 near Woodstock. More are planned before the end of the year. During a checkpoint, each car is stopped and the passengers are asked if they are in the U.S. legally.
“Do you support border checkpoints in New Hampshire?”
Discussion held on Citizens Count website and Facebook page September 4, 2018
What Participants Said
No: 65 citizens did not support border checkpoints in New Hampshire.
- “I don’t want to be inconvenienced by having to stop for this or DUI checkpoints. I’d live in North Korea if I wanted to live in a police state.”
- “How much drugs were found? Seems like federal dollars could be better spent than [on] stopping mostly NH residents for nothing.”
- “It is a disgusting violation of the 4th Amendment and disgusting that we essentially live in a ‘Constitution free zone.’ What did this most recent search yield? Nothing but trampling on the rights of law abiding people.”
Yes: 52 citizens supported border checkpoints in New Hampshire.
- “If you have done no wrong then nothing to worry about. Maybe they'll help get DUI offenders off the road as well.”
- “I will give up some civil liberties in my car to stop illegal immigration, drug trafficking, human trafficking.”
- “Yes - I support it and would like to see it done more often.”
Other: 26 citizens addressed their comments to related questions and issues.
- History of immigration checkpoints: “That's been going on since the late 60's, early 70s. Usually during Bike Week. Same stretch of highway.”
- Personal experiences: “To everyone crying 4th Amendment, who has actually been stopped by one of these? I’ve been past several and waved right through.”
- Financial costs: “Cost per arrest to taxpayer?”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.