CITIZEN VOICES® Toll rate hikes?
Do you favor a proposed hike in New Hampshire turnpike tolls?
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page November 27, 2017
What Participants Said
No: 237 people were opposed to a proposed hike in New Hampshire turnpike tolls.
- “All a hike is going to do is hurt the working class people who are already trying their hardest to make ends meet.”
- “No. The gas tax went up a few years ago to fund infrastructure improvements—that should suffice.”
- “No. How about we get rid of the tolls altogether?”
Yes: 18 people were in favor of a proposed hike in New Hampshire turnpike tolls.
- “Yes. Our roads and bridges are crumbling, it's time to invest in our infrastructure - which by the way helps bring tourists into our state.”
- “Sure, since a very high percentage of week-end travel comes from out of staters.”
- “Yes, tax users not the general public!”
Other: 37 people commented on related questions and issues instead.
- Alternative proposals: “Make it for peak use times only.”
- Other revenue sources: “Increase tobacco taxes.”
- State spending: “Where has the money already collected from tolls and gas taxes gone? Certainly not into the roads.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.