Abortion after viability?
Rep. Keith Murphy is sponsoring a 2018 bill, HB 1680, that would ban abortion after viability. The bill defines viability as, "the point in pregnancy when, in the good faith medical judgment of a physician, there is reasonable likelihood of the fetus' sustained survival outside the uterus without the application of extraordinary medical measures." Read more about this issue.
Should NH ban abortion after ‘viability,’ except in medical emergencies?
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page November 30, 2017
No: 148 people were opposed to banning abortion after viability.
- “Abortion is an issue between a woman and her doctor only. Problems can arise at any time during pregnancy, threatening either the viability of the fetus, the woman's health, or both.”
- “No. Most people don't seem to realize that it is very rare for an abortion after the baby is viable... and then it is almost always for health reasons.”
- “No… While it's not something I would do, I fully support a woman's right to choose.”
Yes: 101 people were in favor of banning abortion after viability.
- “Yes… If a child can survive outside the womb then obviously the child should receive the protection due her.”
- “This isn't about women's reproductive rights. It's about protecting human life that cannot protect itself.”
- “Yes. Murdering unborn babies is still murder. Plenty of birth control options out there and abortion should never be one of them.”
Other: 27 people commented on related questions and issues instead.
- Men’s rights: “Give males the chance to opt out, it’s their bodies that take a beating earning child support.”
- Indecision: “I'm stuck on this. I think abortion is wrong, but I'm not sure I should be the judge of others.”
- Jurisdiction: “Shouldn't this be a federal concern?”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.