CITIZEN VOICES® Background checks for commercial firearms sales?
Feb 05, 2017
A 'commercial sale' would be defined as a sale, transfer, or exchange of a firearm that takes place at - or adjacent to - a gun show. The bill includes an exception for private sales and transfers of firearms, provided that neither the buyer nor the seller is prohibited by law from owning a firearm. Anyone who violates the law could be charged with a misdemeanor. Read more about this issue here.
"Should NH require background checks for commercial firearms sales?"
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page Feburary 5, 2017
What Participants Said
No: 170 citizens were opposed to passing a law requiring background checks for commercial firearm sales.
- “Commercial sales, defined as sales by those engaged in the commerce of dealing firearms, are already subject to background checks. This is just another attempt to restrict private sales between two non-prohibited persons.”
- “The background checks we have now are more than sufficient.”
- “The bill in question turns private sales, transfers and exchanges into commercial sales as well as hinders training. It is anti-safety as well as being unenforceable.”
Yes: 55 citizens were in favor of a law requiring background checks for commercial firearm sales.
- “Law-abiding, responsible Granite Staters should welcome making it harder for dangerous people in their communities to get firearms.”
- “If you are too dangerous to pass a background check, you're too dangerous to own a gun.”
- “As a NH resident and gun owner, how could I object to a law that aims to keep firearms out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them?”
Other: 14 citizens adressed their comments to related questions and issues. Most of these related to clarifying the bill or current law.
- “Still need to pass the phone call to the state police to buy a firearm unless you are buying out of the back of a car.”
- “Is there not already a background check being done?”
- “You should read the bill before agreeing to it.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.