CITIZEN VOICES® br> Guns on campus?
Jan 10, 2018
A bill sponsored by state Rep. Brian Stone (R-Northwood) would prevent public colleges and universities in New Hampshire from passing restrictions on carrying firearms outdoors on campus grounds. According to Rep. Stone, the bill is in the process of being amended to specifically ban prohibitions on concealed carrying of pistols and revolvers. The amended text will also prohibit restrictions on concealed carrying of pistols and revolvers indoors while on campus. Read more about this issue.
Should NH guarantee the right of gun owners to carry their weapons while outdoors on state college or university campuses?
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page January 3, 2018
What Participants Said
Yes: 263 people were in favor of guaranteeing the right of gun owners to carry their weapons on campus.
- “Last I checked, the constitution says we the people have the right to keep and bear arms, and no government is allowed to infringe on that. Not being able to bear my arms at a college or university is an illegal infringement.”
- “Yes… students should have the right to protect themselves just like anyone else.”
- “They should be allowed to carry concealed anywhere on campus.”
No: 52 people were against guaranteeing the right of gun owners to carry their weapons on campus.
- “This is up to the school. If a school wants no guns on their campus that is their right.”
- “Young adults, raging hormones, alcohol and guns are a disgracefully dangerous mix.”
- “Why on Earth would you allow guns on campuses when NH has no history of gun violence on college campuses? You're just increasing the risk of injury/death.”
Other: 31 people commented on related questions and issues instead.
- Carrying firearms: “I would rather people conceal carry than open carry.”
- Education policy: “I maintain that there should be separation of education and state.”
- Impacted population: “Since you need to be 21 to buy a pistol we’re not talking about 15-16 year old kids.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.