Luxury hotel on Mt. Washington?
Mar 15, 2018
Cog Railway owner Wayne Presby intends to build a 35-room hotel 1,000 feet from the summit of Mount Washington. Presby faces zoning challenges and opposition from conservation groups. Proponents argue that that entrepreneurs like Presby have the right to develop private property as they wish. Opponents argue that the hotel would be an eyesore and could damage the mountain’s fragile ecosystem.
"Do you support the construction of a 35-room luxury hotel on Mount Washington?"
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page March 3, 2018
What Participants Said
No: 106 citizens opposed the construction of a luxury hotel on Mt. Washington.
- “Not only does it not belong and will damage a fragile environment, but people who don't know what they are doing will get themselves into trouble, leading to even more rescues.”
- “We don't need to develop every square foot of the countryside. Leave Mt. Washington as it is! There's plenty of tourist traps in the area for people to stay in.”
- “I understand it’s private property but by building here [we] would destroy what attracts people to the mountain. I’d have to vote no for this very reason.”
Yes: 41 citizens supported the construction of a luxury hotel on Mt. Washington.
- “Does he own the land? If he does then yes. If people don't want him to build it, they are welcome to pool money together and make him an offer to buy the land. It's that simple.”
- “I support the building of a hotel. There were 2 enormous hotels up there before, this will not be a bad thing for the mountain.”
- “Absolutely. [The] North country needs people to come up and visit. People bring money, money (when put back into the community) brings growth and with it modernization.”
Other: 31 citizens addressed their comments to related questions and issues.
- Indecision: “That’s a tough one. On one hand I would not like to see this and didn’t realize that 1000’ down from the summit was privately owned. On the other hand how can you stop someone from building something on there [sic] own land?”
- Land ownership: “I didn’t realize anyone owned property on Mount Washington.”
- Jurisdiction: “Would it be subject to the zoning requirements of the Town which it would be in?”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.