Should liquor be sold only in state stores?
In New Hampshire, beer, wine, and fortified wine can be sold at grocery or convenience stores. However, the state has a monopoly on sales of hard alcohol. Liquor sales in New Hampshire are limited to 80 state-run stores, managed by the state liquor commission. Read more about this issue.
"Should liquor in NH continue to be sold only in state-run stores?"
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page October 24, 2017
Yes: 126 citizens were in favor of continuing to sell liquor only in state-run stores in New Hampshire.
- “Yes. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Out of staters flock to this state because of our low prices. This system works.”
- “Yes, it provides great state revenue, is at a cheaper price than the private liquor stores in most states, and private companies can still profit on beer and wine.”
- “The pricing is great, the selection is too and their locations make tons of money from other states. I'm good with it.”
No: 97 citizens were opposed to continuing to sell liquor only in state-run stores in New Hampshire.
- “The state should not have a monopoly on sales. Liquor should be able to be sold anywhere else just like beer.”
- “No. Get the government out of private business. Their nose doesn't belong in the free market.”
- “The state shouldn’t be selling booze or any other addictive, unhealthy drugs. Let people buy them in grocery stores and pay a tax on it. No need to spend state money on real estate, inventory, and staff of state-owned package stores.”
Other: 18 citizens addressed their comments to related questions and issues.
- Indecision: “I’d have to see more information before deciding. I’d like to know if there’s been any dishonesty by state officials and if so have any been prosecuted? I’d also like to [know] the expected tax income for the state… what can we expect with privatization?”
- Marijuana policy: “If you allow the sale of recreational booze, you must have recreational marijuana.”
- Store hours: “I don't care if the states the only one that sells liquor but I wish they would stay open later.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.