What are Core Values?
- Core Values are a set of ideals that reflect what is centrally important to our organization and its members.
- Core Values create a foundation for practices that are critical to our mission.
- Core Values help us point the way to shaping our initiatives and purposeful action.
How do Core Values guide our organization?
- They stand for something--that is, they are important markers for why our organization exists, what we stand for, and what it we are working to achieve.
- Our organization pays serious attention to clarifying and role modeling values and to ensuring that they are embodied in all that we do and that they are communicated both internally and externally.
- Our values bring real life meaning and commitment to our organization.
- Our values are integrated into our organization's policies, actions and activities, affecting all aspects of what we undertake.
The following are our Core Values.
Civic education is essential in the development of an informed, effective, and responsible citizenry. We foster efforts to effectively educate citizens of all ages in civic history, contemporary civics, and civic responsibility.
Collaborative endeavors strengthen our ability to achieve positive change. We actively seek to collaborate with members of the community and with other organizations that share our mission and values.
Free speech and the expression of the collective will of the people are vital to a democracy. We work to provide our elected officials with timely and valuable citizen input as well as fostering direct communication among citizens and between citizens and their elected officials.
Citizen involvement is vital to our democracy, making citizens more capable of the important, on-going work of guiding our democratic governance. We work to facilitate civic engagement, including the development of participatory civic skills.
Integrity and a commitment to ethical behavior are vital to good government and public service. We ascribe to and promote efforts and activities aimed at achieving and maintaining the highest ethical standards in government.
Issue Information & Knowledge
For citizenship to thrive, members of the public must have access to honest, factual, unbiased information about issues, candidates and elected officials, as well as fair and open spaces for discussion and the exchange of opinion. We provide these resources across a range of platforms and are vigorously non-partisan.
An informed electorate is essential to a healthy democracy. We broadly educate voters about candidates and issues, supporting efforts to enhance voter education and increase voter participation.
Good citizenship requires approaching all people and their perspectives with consideration and courtesy. We promote respectful dialog among citizens and between citizens and elected officials.
All citizens have a fundamental right to transparency in the operation and conduct of their government. We work to ensure that our elected officials are transparent in their actions, issue positions, beliefs and voting records.